C-Store for a Day
We know c-stores have broadened their merchandise over the last decade or so—but do they have enough to get you through the day?
Anybody reading this surely is familiar with how c-stores have broadened the variety of foods and merchandise they provide. It’s not particularly taken for granted now, but when the trend was new in terms of public perception, it wasn’t unusual to find articles, for example, about guys who improved their health eating exclusively at c-stores for 30 days, to prove a point. Even the mighty Food Network got into the act with this article. They were amazed. We weren’t. But they helped build consumer consciousness regarding the industry beyond the basics.
Given this variety, when you’re on the go and need to grab some essentials for the day, a gas station or convenience store can be a lifesaver, whether you’re in a rush or simply need to stock up on some essentials. Here’s a gas station or convenience store can help you survive the day:
1. Snacks – A fundamental attraction of the c-store, and who doesn’t need at least a snack or two during the day? From chips and candy to protein bars energy drinks, and exotic fresh packs of fruit for travel, these can help you get through the day, especially if choose snacks that are high in protein and fiber to keep you fuller for longer.
2. Drinks – Staying hydrated is essential for surviving the day, and convenience stores have plenty of options to choose from. Water, sports drinks, and juice are all great choices, and there are some interesting alternatives like Kombucha and mushroom drinks.
3. Toiletries – Forgot your toothbrush or need some hand sanitizer? Gas stations and convenience stores have a variety of toiletries to choose from, including toothbrushes, toothpaste, and hand sanitizer. These items can help you stay clean and fresh throughout the day.
4. Phone chargers – Running low on battery? Gas stations and convenience stores often have phone chargers for sale. This can be a lifesaver if you’re relying on your phone for directions or communication throughout the day.
5. Food and groceries – Gas stations and convenience stores, in general, are expanding their emphasis on food beyond bread, milk, and eggs. So besides making a quick meal or snack—still perfectly doable, of course— you can expand your horizons thanks to all the Foodservice options now readily available in c-stores across the country, and the emphasis on non-traditional, even gourmet meals, that may not have been available from the industry in decades past.
6. Medicine – Need some pain relief or allergy medicine? Gas stations and convenience stores often have a small selection of over-the-counter medicine to choose from. These items can help you get through the day without having to make a trip to the pharmacy.
Whether your convenience store inventory includes a wide variety of merchandise intended to get the consumer through the day, or you’re more narrowly focused on a profitable niche specific to your market, SSCS’s Computerized Daily Book (CDB) back office software will help you stay on top of item profit and performance. Find out if your item selection is really working for you, then adjust your approach, if necessary, in a timely manner. Give us a call at 1-800 927-7727 to find out how our technology can help you do this.
 As opposed to an article like What Happens to Your Body if You Eat Only Candy Corn? (Besides die.)